I’ve been getting asked quite a bit about healthy gift ideas for the holidays. I like to give presents that my family and friends will truly use and enjoy, but that are also in line with my high standards for healthy living. So this week I took pen and paper in hand and developed the following list to help you, my dear readers, with your holiday shopping:
- Lunch tote. I encourage ALL of my clients to “brown bag” it. I like the Bento Boxes from www.laptoplunches.com. Zip in a cold gel pack to keep cold stuff cold and avoid foodborne illness.
- Veggie Steamer. One of the best ways you can cook veggies and keep those wonderful nutrients intact.
- Juicer. While we’re on appliances…juicing is a great way to get your nine servings of fruits and veggies daily (Note: a serving is a measly half-cup!). Just be sure the juicer juices the WHOLE fruit/veg – you want enough power to pulverize the peel for all that fantastic fiber. Splurge on a VitaMix, or save with a Nutri Bullet www.nutribullet.com.
- Magazine Subscription. Women’s Health, Men’s Health, Shape, Self, Fitness, Cooking Light, Eating Well, the list goes on. For the hardcore nutrition junkie – Nutrition Action from the Center for Science in the Public Interest www.cspinet.com.
- Gym Membership. The ultimate get-fit gift. Many fitness facilities have great holiday specials going on right now. Stash the certificate in a shiny new gym bag to spark some serious motivation. I love the ones from www.athleta.com.
- GPS training product. A.K.A. a Garmin watch (www.garmin.com). Great little gadget for the aspiring athlete (or inspired beginner). Help them navigate the night with a headlamp from LL Bean, essential for evening runs in the winter months www.llbean.com.
- Cookbook. Ellie Krieger’s “Healthy Appetite” (my favorite and most famous RD!), The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook, American Dietetic Association’s Cooking Healthy Across America, or William Sonoma’s Salad of the Day www.williams-sonoma.com.
- Wine and chocolate. It’s gotta be red and dark (70% or more cacao) respectively…in moderation of course! www.godiva.com.